Third-Party disks on PI

John McCalpin mccalpin at loligo.cc.fsu.edu
Fri May 19 03:23:03 AEST 1989

I long ago gave up hope on putting third-party drives on our IRIS 3000's.
Now that the new machines are using purportedly standard interfaces, I
would like to bring up the issue again.

Has anyone successfully installed a third-party SCSI drive in a Personal
IRIS?  They want $4200 (university price) for a 380MB drive, and I
can get 660 MB from Maxtor for under $4000, or 702 MB from CDC for
under $3000.

Further along the same lines, does anyone know of an expansion cabinet
that could be used to hold extra SCSI drives to be daisy-chained with the
internal drive?  I would much rather have 3x660 MB in an external cabinet
for about $13,000 than the 3x380 offered by SGI for $13,000 (univ. price).