Screen Dump.

Robert Reimann rmr at inferno.SGI.COM
Thu May 18 10:33:50 AEST 1989

msc at ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) writes:
> malagoli at MHD.UCHICAGO.EDU (Andrea Malagoli) writes:

> > I also not quite sure on how to use icut to select the portion
> > of the screen I want to save. When I call icut, a small window
> > appears, then.........????
> >

> The README file in the source directory where you found icut describes how
> to use it.
>
>  icut - usage: icut outimage
>     Cut an image from the screen:  once attached to the icut window, move the
>     mouse to one of the four corners of the section of the screen you wish to
>     cut,  press LEFTMOUSE,  keep holding it down while moving to the opposite
>     corner,  and let go at the point that marks the rectangular area you wish
>     to write out to outimage.

To elaborate on "attaching" to the icut window:

1. move the mouse cursor into the icut window

2. hold down a key on the keyboard (ALT is a good choice)

3. move the mouse back out of the window while still
   holding down the key on the keyboard.  As long as
   you keep the key held down, you are attached to
   the window (or, more precisely, input is directed
   there).

Several other tools such as mag and cedit work on the same principle;
this "sticky" follow focus mode is a feature of the 4Sight window
manager.

		Robert Reimann
		rmr at sgi.com