Windows

Ken Van Camp kvancamp at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Tue May 16 03:54:44 AEST 1989

 >Mark Callow says they are working on the window performance issue for
 >release 3.2. He has really missed the point. I want the option of having
 >NO window manager.

Yeah, what he said!  On the 3000's you could at least do a reasonable
amount of text operations without Mex running, but on the 4D's the only
option you have is NOGRAPHICS=1 when you login.  Then your visual
editors don't work.  I guess that's why SGI moved vi from /bin to /usr/bin
on the 4D's; you can't use it anyway without your window manager running.

Some times I'd like to just login for text operations, and then I don't
want to have to wait for 4Sight to start up.  Bad design, SGI!

                            --Ken Van Camp
ARPANET:  kvancamp at PICA.ARMY.MIL -or- kvancamp at ARDEC.ARPA
BITNET:   (use above through normal gateways, like UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU)
USENET:   pica.army.mil!kvancamp at UUNET.UU.NET
UUCP:     ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!kvancamp
                    "Tis better to Send than to Receive."