4Dgifts

swenson at NUSC-WPN.ARPA swenson at NUSC-WPN.ARPA
Tue May 16 00:54:00 AEST 1989

Greetings,

	I have spent some time over the past couple of days in 4Dgifts.
I have ran into many of the same problems others are reporting.  I have
solved a couple of them in my system...and have found others.  Here goes.

	RANLIB seems to be an optional step (don't yell -- I am not a UNIX
guru and the libraries work without running it.  That says to me that it
is basically optional...).  If you want to use RANLIB though, I found a
copy of it in 4Dgifts/bin (I think...but its in there) if you log in as
guest (assuming 4Dgifts is the default guest directory) the .cshrc takes
care of the necessary paths.  If you have already created the LIBXXXX.A
library, get rid of it and run MAKE again.

	As far as missing headers are concerned I have not run into this
problem.

	Something that I did run into is that the code for SCRSAVE in the
libgutil directory seems to be suffering from an identity crisis...it
thinks it is running on a 3000 or something.  I try to call SCRSAVE
from an application that uses the entire screen (1280x1024) and the
application BLEEPS the bed.  Upon closer inspection of the SCRSAVE code, I
found that the array that holds the colormap indices of a line of pixels has
a dimension of 1024...(I need 1280) Made the necessary change and it worked
fine.  I also looked at other areas in libgutil, and full screen windows are
opened with a dimension of 1024X967 (or something like that).  In doing this,
I was linking to the 4Dgifts version of libgutil and libimage.  I will try
linking to /usr/lib/libgutil et al later and let you know how I make out.

---
					Steve
					SWENSON at NUSC-WPN.ARPA
------