3.1D Upgrade problems

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Thu May 11 11:41:51 AEST 1989

In article <12882 at ut-emx.UUCP>, russo at chaos.utexas.edu (Tom Russo) writes:
> We have recently installed the "maintenance tapes" to bring our IRIX up to
> 3.1D on 2 personal irises and a 4server8. Now 4sight seems to be broken in
> a wierd way: Most of us here have user.ps files to remap keys, put up tools,
> and fire up toolchests. Those of us who do have these things in our directories
> now find that the tools and chests fail to come up one time in 3. The user.ps
> files look like this:

There is a race condition between when the server starts listening and when
StartMostThings is called in init.ps.  We didn't see this until we started
work on release 3.2.  I'm not sure exactly what moved things into the window
of vulnerability.  Anyway here is a context diff which you can apply to the
file /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/init.ps.

---
	Peter Broadwell
	Mark Callow

*** old.init.ps	Wed May 10 18:14:51 1989
--- init.ps	Wed May 10 18:15:26 1989
***************
*** 572,577
  	}
  	null framebuffer eventmgrinterest
      ] forkeventmgr def
  } def
  /&main {go! DebuggingServer? {executive} if} def

--- 572,578 -----
  	}
  	null framebuffer eventmgrinterest
      ] forkeventmgr def
+     StartMostThings
  } def
  /&main {go! DebuggingServer? {executive} if} def

*** 681,685

  systemdict /cursorfont known {/ptr /ptr_m framebuffer setstandardcursor} if
  systemdict /ROOTPROC known { ROOTPROC killprocess systemdict /ROOTPROC undef } if
-
- StartMostThings

--- 682,684 -----

--