Permissive permissions

Margaret Mikulska mem%inls2 at UCSD.EDU
Thu May 11 04:51:25 AEST 1989

 >>On three different Irises in three different groups (checked within the last
 >>few minutes), / was world-writable (apparently shipped as such).  Not funny.

>I have seen this on the 3000's as well.  I believe they were shipped that way
>and (I'm not positive but..) I think each time the OS was revised I had to
>reset the permission on / after installation.

Yes, we have 3130's and all of them had always extremely "permissive
permissions" (777) on all important directories, no matter which
version of op sys they ran. All machines brand new. I can't understand
what makes SGI ship the machines that way. (Anybody at SGI cares to
comment ?...)

Margaret Mikulska
University of California, San Diego

ucsd!beowulf!mikulska