baud rates (was: wsh questions)

Reinhard Doelz doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue May 16 21:13:13 AEST 1989

Hmm - sound as if it is getting complicated with the non-4Sight environment.
As far as I got the data out of the 'documentation', the baud rate of the
non-graphics environment is determined in the PROM monitor setting the environ-
mental variable dbaud and/or rbaud. Doing so, I am able to modify the
(default) 9600 baud speed. (Owners guide, Table 5-6 Using the Prom Monitor)
Logging in remotely from DECNET or TCP/IP, I usually get the line speed my
current (text) terminal has. The graphics console seems to work as normal in
terms of baud rates.
Is it possible that windowing is delayed over the net because of the limited
speed on the ethernet board? At least the 4DDN product shows considerable less
performance in transfer rates compared to the TCP/IP protocol.

Reinhard