misc. mag tape questions

Tom Mackey tomm at voodoo.UUCP
Fri May 5 01:08:17 AEST 1989

There was some discussion recently re. backups, cpio, and tar.  Low level
mag tape I/O is something I know little about.  If an EOT mark is written
at the beginning of a tar tape, is there any way of salvaging the data
following the tape mark?  For instance, having written a tape with "tar c",
I try reading it with the same command (yeah I have been that stooooopid!).

Henry Spencer mentioned some tape bit twiddling programs...would you be
willing to post a few of those, Mr. Spencer, so that those of us who would
like to learn to salvage tapes could get a good start?  Anybody else got
any tape I/O goodies to share?

--
Tom Mackey                                (206) 234-7767 (wk)
Boeing Computer Services    ....uw-beaver!ssc-vax!voodoo!tomm