Window Movement Poll Results

Joe Garbarino jgarb at CSD360B.ERIM.ORG
Thu May 18 12:42:01 AEST 1989

After a week of gathering responses to my question about the frequency of
window movement, I have the following results:  Four people who responded
work much the way that I do, opening many windows and moving things around
quite a bit, and would get annoyed by a 20 second delay.  Three others
thought that it would be nice to be able to turn off the windowing system,
including 4Sight, altogether.  The SGI people feel that their upcoming
release of the X Window System will work well enough to be useable.  I'm
looking forward to this and will be glad to say so here if and when that
proves true.

One of the main reasons I brought this whole topic up is that I wanted to
insure that people with access only to the SGI's implementation of the X
Window System are aware that there are very fast implementations available.
The currently available implementation of the X Window System by SGI is not
acceptable, nor does it accurately reflect the current state of X Window
System implementations in general.  I want to be sure that someone that has
only tried the X Window System on SGI equipment does not develop a jaded
perspective of X due to that "experience".  And I wanted the SGI developers
to know there are people experienced with the X Window System using their
machines, anxiously awaiting a fast X implementation matching the graphical
speed daemon the Iris really is.

					Joe Garbarino
					ERIM
					P.O. Box 8618