Windows

David F. Rogers dfr at CAD.USNA.MIL
Sun May 14 07:24:31 AEST 1989

Since you asked, I would prefer NOT to have a window system! I resent having to
use one on the 4d. I hate giving up those cycles. Don't say the window manager,
any window manager, does not absorb significant cycles. They all do.
I recently demonstrated how much by running exactly the same B-spline
Surface Ship Design program on both a 2400T and a 4D/20 side by side. The
4D/20 has roughtly 10 times the cpu power and 3-5 times the screen i/o as
the 2400T, at least according to the specs. The 4D/20 ran VISUALLY slower!
The more windows you put up the slower it ran. If I didn't need the cpu
cycles for associated analysis programs, I would go back the the 3000 series.
Sigh ......

Dave Rogers