benchmarks

Steve Thompson olin at CHEME.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Mon May 29 23:18:00 AEST 1989

>It's a good thing I know that my numbers are the only right ones :-),
>otherwise I might have acted on information like this.
>
>Jim Helman
>Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
>Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
>(jim at thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940

You may (or may not!) be interested in some numbers I have on my application,
which is a totally CPU-bound Molecular Dynamics simulation (no I/O, small memory
requirements, single precision). I don't have any numbers for the SGI R2000
boxes, but a rough estimate could be obtained from the DECstation 3100 times
(DS3100 is R2000/R2010, 16.67MHz). The speeds are all relative to a VAX 8250 =
1.00, and are arranged in descending order of speed. I have some preliminary
numbers for the SPARCstation 1 (approx. half of the DECstation 3100); these are
not in the table because they are not final.

Steve

Machine			Relative Speed		Notes
Cray-1			82.4			fully vectorized
IBM 3090-600		35.1			(opt(3) vector