Positioning an X window

news news at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 15 21:56:30 AEST 1990

I am starting to learn the "wonders" of X. I started by entering the
helloworld program in Appendix A of the Introduction to the
X Window System by Oliver Jones. Being a skeptic, I was amazed that it
worked on both my Personal iris and an HP without any code changes. There
was, however, one difference between the PI and the HP(and the book).
Setting the myhint parameters and using XCreateSimpleWindow and XMapRaised,
is supposed to set the initial window position and size. On the PI, the
window is, instead, set so the upper left corner is at the current cursor
position (the sizing part seems to work fine). I noticed that this is how
all of the demo programs work also. Is there a way for the program to
position the X window, or does the user always have to drag the cursor
to the correct place on the screen?
(BTW I am running the program on the same machine I am displaying)
From: joe at etac632 (Joe Fulson-Woytek)

Joe Fulson-Woytek