C inline functions

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jun 14 03:55:29 AEST 1990

In article <788 at ki.UUCP>, dwatts at ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
|> In the 3.2 release of Irix, is there a way to make the C compiler generate
|> inline code for memcpy() instead of calling a subroutine?  I'd rather have
|> the increased code size to get the increased speed I want.  Even though
|> a call isn't all that much time, compared to the length of time it takes
|> to do the actual move it must be great.

Function calls on the mips R[23]000 are fast, particularly to leaf functions
(functions that make no further calls) such as memcpy().  I doubt if you would
notice any performance difference in your program.  Perhaps you would if your
program is making huge numbers of calls to memcpy to copy just a few bytes.

This sounds like what my esteemed colleague Kipp calls
"premature optimization."
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."