Workspace directory rule override secret

root at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU root at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
Thu Jun 28 07:28:35 AEST 1990

The secret to bypassing the default behavior for directories is to use the
SPECIALTYPE rule.  I played around with the dumpster rule and learned this the
hard way.

This testing was done by doing a make clean on the /usr/lib/filtype directory,
and stripping the rules in $HOME/.workspace to local/ and default/.  Then I
know what workspace knows and does not know.  The this small subset of default
default rules seems to cover most all file types.

I played with the dumpster rule, because it is the only directory rule I could
find in the sgi rules.  Like it says below, i could not change the actions
unless i cleared the default properties with the SPECIALTYPE rule.  If I did
somthing bad with the the SUPERTYPE or SPECIALFILE rule, it would not see the
icon and think that the dumpster was a normal directory. Betsy told me not
to use SUPERTYPE, but I did not understand what she had written. I wish she
told me to use SPECIALFILE. That solved all problems!!

.....from sgidefault.fti.....(edited version in /karron/.workspace/default)
TYPE Dumpster
    MATCH       dircontains(".dumpster");
    LEGEND      A dumy legendend is the dumpster
#    SUPERTYPE  Directory
#    SUPERTYPE  SpecialFile
#    SPECIALFILE
#       Note: the OPEN, ALTOPEN, and DROP rules are currently built in to the
#       workspace.  Changing the placeholder rules here will not modify their
#       behavior.
#    CMD OPEN   dirview $LEADER $REST
#    CMD ALTOPEN        dirview -o `pwd` $LEADER
#    CMD DROP   carefulmove $LEADER $REST $TARGET
#    CMD PRINT  routeprint -g -t $LEADERTYPE $LEADER $REST
#SUPERTYPE Directory
#SUPERTYPE SpecialFile
# all i want to do here so see what is happening.
# putting back supertype only makes a mess.
        SPECIALFILE
        CMD OPEN    echo  CMD OPEN $LEADER $REST
        CMD ALTOPEN echo  CMD ALTOPEN `pwd` $LEADER
        CMD DROP    echo  CMD DROP $LEADER $REST $TARGET
        CMD PRINT   echo  CMD PRINT $LEADERTYPE $LEADER $REST
        MENUCMD     "E Dump" (echo $LEADER $REST)
    ICON        {
#       Dumpster Shadow
                color(shadowcolor);

PS:

A null icon should not be a syntax error.  You can note it, but for quick and
dirty development, I don't care what the icon looks like, and a null icon
should be allowed.

The workspace windows should understand the wsh window scrolling function
keys, page up, page down etc.  The srolled position should be maintained
between program invocations to be consistant with the window placement state
being saved between program invocations.

now... Back to the future!!! No More hacking muck!

dan.
| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |