exporting NFS file systems with root permissions

Tony Facca fsfacca at AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV
Sat Jun 30 05:11:55 AEST 1990

I have a question regarding exporting file systems with the -root[id] option.

On the Iris 4D's I have an /etc/exports file which looks something like this:

#
# NFS exported filesystem database (see EXPORTS(4) for more information).
#
# Entries in this file consist of lines containing the following fields:
#
# filesystem	[ options ]	[ netgroup ] [ hostname ] ...
#
# Filesystem must be left-justified and may name any directory within a
# local filesystem.  Lines beginning with white space continue the previous
# line's entry.  Netgroup(4) and hostname refer to machines or collections
# of machines to which filesystem is exported.
#

/usr/lerc -root=lerc08:lerc09,access=lerc02:lerc03:lerc04:lerc08:lerc09

This works the way I want it to.  That is, if I mount the /usr/lerc directory
from lerc08 I can be root in the mounted directory.

I am trying to duplicate this effect on the 3030's.  There is no "root" option
but there is a "rootid" option which allows one to specify a userid to map
client "root" ids to.  Like, rootid=guest would change the permissions of the
remote root to guest on the server.

I want to map root to root, but only on a subset of the machines to which I
grant access.  I have tried variations on this theme:

------
# Iris 3030's /etc/exports

/u/lerc -rootid=root lerc08 lerc09

/u/lerc lerc02 lerc03 lerc04 lerc08 lerc09 lerc10
------

Has anyone successfully exported file systems on the 3030's using a scheme like
this?  Any help is appreciated.

On another note...

The header for the /etc/exports file on the 4D's reads "Lines beginning with
white space continue the previous line's entry."  Yet when I try to set up an
exports file like this:

/usr/lerc -root=lerc08:lerc09,
	   access=lerc02:lerc03:lerc04:
	   lerc08:lerc09:lerc10

Doing an exportfs gives me errors:

#exportfs -a
exportfs: access=lerc02:lerc03:lerc04:: No such file or directory
exportfs: lerc08:lerc09:lerc10: No such file or directory

So, what exactly does the comment about "Lines beginning with white space.."
mean?