symlink suicide solution

karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
Fri Jun 15 07:08:35 AEST 1990

Me too.

Symbolic links should not unlink an existing file without warning.  However,
fixing the problem can be as simple as a shell script with the name "ln" in a
local bin directory before the /bin directory in your search path.  If the
shell script gets used enough, and you want it badly enuf, you can rewrite the
binarys for ln and make a version for your self.  If you put it out on the
net, we all can use it in our local environments.  THEN, the folks at ATT and
perhaps SGI will take notice.  Don't hold your breath.

I would also like a better version of tail that would handle multiple file
tails. I noticed that posting, an I also think that that would be a nice
enhancement. I like to make a positive ending to my files, and it would be
nice to scan source code endings for a standard "finale".

The nice thing about unix is that you can make your own versions of commands,
in shell scripts or binaries, and make your own world a better place before the
unix vendors come around to hiring programmers and staff to implement it in the
next release.
| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |