Unable to login if the login directory is NFS mounted ?

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
Thu Jun 28 09:11:28 AEST 1990

In article <4846 at marvin.cme.nist.gov>, tarnoff at cme.nist.gov (Nicholas Tarnoff) writes:
> I have tried several times to manually add a /etc/passwd entry in
> order for a user to login to a home directory that is NFS mounted.
>
> The result is that the user has no console or toolchests.

The most familiar cause is confusion among host name databases.

Do the chests & console come up on the home machine (i.e. without NFS)?
    If not, then the problem is with NeWS and perhaps the user's user.ps

If so, can you log into the account via telnet or rlogin?
    If not, then ensure that the home directories are properly
    mounted where the passwd database says they are--i.e. check `ls ~user`

If so, other problems might involve having too many environment variables
    or something.  Perhaps the .cshrc or .login are running a command
    that does not work on the local machine.
    Perhaps the user.ps is fancy and fiddling with the network.

vjs