What to run if you hate YP/NIS ?

Glenn Mackintosh glenn at csri.toronto.edu
Sat Jun 9 09:16:50 AEST 1990

eastick at me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>I will soon be setting up several IRIS's in our office.  Looking thru
>the manuals with the demo machine, SGI recommends using YP for a
>network.   MANY others have told me YP sucks.  So what does one run
>instead?  UofT uses a locally written program calles ued.

I wrote replacement YP routines for our sun environment here because SUN's
were so slow. I have implemented all of the library routines (yp_match,
etc.). My routines do not use the server/client arrangement that SUN's YP
does, mine assume the database files are in a publicly accessible place
(either nfs mounted, track'ed, rdist'ed or some other method). It uses ndbm
for some of the database accessing but for yp_first/next/all it opens the
original files and walks through them sequencially, this speeds some things
up by about an order of magnitude (finger comes down from 15-20 seconds to
about 2 seconds). If you don't have ndbm GNU has a version out but I haven't
tried it so I don't know how solid it is.

In order to use my routines you will have to relink the programs you want to
use it (which means you need source), or for those with shared libraries you
need to be able to make it check these before it looks in libc.

There is a README file that explains the setup. If you are interested let me
know since it is in beta test at the moment and I could use a few more beta
testers.

                    Glenn Mackintosh
                    Univ. of Toronto

CSNET/ARPA:   Glenn at eecg.{toronto.edu,utoronto.ca}
CDNNET:       Glenn at eecg.toronto.cdn
BITNET:       Glenn at eecg.utoronto.bitnet (may not work from all sites)
UUCP:         uunet!utai!eecg!Glenn