Twilight Background Program

miq at sgi.com miq at sgi.com
Fri Jun 8 07:41:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun7.162505.3526 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> smfedor at lerc01.lerc.nasa.gov (Gregory Fedor) writes:
>Just a naive question, is this a background program for NeWS and if so how do
>you invoke it?
>
>IF it's not, is there any way to put an image file up as the background in
>NeWS?
>
>--
>Hailing frequencies closed...
>
>Gregory Fedor                 (216) 433-8468
>Sverdrup Technology           smfedor at lerc01.lerc.nasa.gov
>NASA Lewis Research Center    Cleveland, Ohio 44135

You can run the program by first compiling it with the proper libraries
(cc program.c -o twilight -lgl_s -lm) should be sufficient and then running
the executable.  If you get tired of it, simply choose a different background
from the Windows toolchest.

For an easy way to put images up in the backgroud follow this recipe:

First you need some images in SGI format that are viewable with the ipaste
command.

Now you need to have the 4Dgifts directory installed on you machine.  If you
don't have this, get it off the DEV tape.  This is done by loading the instal-
lation tools off EOE1 tape and going into manual mode (choice 2 from the menu)
then switching to the DEV tape and going into select mode (type select at the
Manual> prompt).  Now unselect everything by saying "no *" then select only
the 4Dgifts stuff "yes dev.sw.giftssrc".  Quit and reboot.

Get the source for ipaste from the /usr/people/4Dgifts/iristools/imgtools
directory and copy it somewhere else.  Edit this file and find the section that
has the winopen calls in it.  Before all occurances of winopen(), insert a call
to imakebackgroud().  Save this and compile it as bacpaste or something.

Run bacpaste <imagefile> to get a new background.  You will have to experiment
with izoom to get the image to be 1280x1024 if you want it to fill the entire
canvass, or adding that code is left as an exercise to the reader.

--
"Mister! Hey mister! You lights are popped up, but they aren't on!"
	"Huh?  Oh gee thanks...<sigh>"