Bus error DURING call to malloc()

Scum cycy at isl1.ri.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 8 08:07:52 AEST 1990

In article <14525 at thorin.cs.unc.edu>, taylorr at glycine.cs.unc.edu (Russell Taylor) writes:
| 	We are running OS 3.2.2 on an IRIS 4D/240GTX.  I ran a program and
| got the proverbial 'Bus error (core dumped)' message.  The catch is that
| when I run dbx and look for the error, it tells me that the error occured
| IN malloc():
| 	There are several calls to malloc() in the code.  There have been
| successful calls before this call is made.  All calls are passed constant
| references, and this code compiles and runs correctly on a variety of other
| machines (VAX, sun 4, DecStation).
|
| 	Is there a known bug (and hopefully fix) for this?

Try linking with the malloc library. Just use -lmalloc as an argument when you
are linking; this will provide an alternative version of malloc which seems to
work better. This has solved the problem for us in similar cases.

Good luck.
						-- Chris.
--

                                       -- Chris. (cycy at isl1.ri.cmu.edu)
"People make me pro-nuclear." -- Margarette Smith