versions command + warning

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Fri Jun 29 03:50:38 AEST 1990

paquette at cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:

|   This is a word of warning to anyone who might be wanting to use the
| 'versions' command to 'remove' versions of software on an SGI. When using
| this command MAKE SURE THAT YOU ADD THE SUB_SYSTEM NAME OF THE SYSTEM YOU
| WANT TO REMOVE.
|   Today I accidently hit return before typing in the name of the NFS
| subsystem that I wanted to remove.
|  ie: what I wanted -> "versions remove nfs.sw.nfs" (something like that anyway)
|      what I typed ->  "versions remove <CR> nfs.sw.nfs<CR>".

This is a misfeature.  I've just filed a high priority bug on
 it.
In general, versions defaults to all installed products when no
product or subsystem is specified.  This is usually what one wants.

However, in the case of remove, this should produce an error or
require confirmation.

For what it is worth, ONLY product files were removed.  None of your
files should have been removed, so if you simply re-install the
software (NOT doing a 'clean' install!), all of your user data
will still be there.

You will probably still have to re-create all your configuration files, such
as modified crontab's, /etc/passwd, hosts, etc.
--

	Dave Olson