Add-on second system disk for Personal Iris...problems

shoshana at koko.UUCP shoshana at koko.UUCP
Thu Jun 7 05:21:54 AEST 1990

> From: "William S. Sinclair"

> another front-loading disk, which is on SCSI unit #3. We want to re-install
> software on unit #3.

  If all you want to do is install the system software, you can boot
  the machine as usual, mkfs partitions 0 and 6 on unit #3, then mount
  them someplace. eg, mount dks0d3s0 on /installroot and dks0d3s6 on
  /installroot/usr. Then put the installation tape in the tape drive,
  and use the command
	inst -r /installroot
  The install program can be used while the machine is running - as
  long as you're not installing over the working operating system.

  I've done this several times with complete success -- however, the
  following caveats apply:

1. Used this way, the install program won't create a kernel for
  you. "lboot -u /installroot/unix" ought to do the trick.

2. You won't get anything in your volume header (this is partition 8,
  where sash lives - pretty crucial). You can use dvhtool to copy the
  programs from /stand into /dev/dsk/dks03vh.

  Of course this is all very sketchy, RTFM for details.

  As for booting off this disk, my superstitious belief is that the
  boot disk has to be scsi unit #1. But I've never tried to get around
  this, it might be possible. I'm also pretty sure that the boot disk
  has to be partitioned this way (using partitions 0,1,6 and of course
  8). Anyone at SGI want to respond?

  -shoshana
  Shoshana Abrass
  Pacific Data Images
  pdi!shoshana at sgi.com

=== If I were more organized, I'd have a .sig ===