using gethostbyname()

"Gary S. Moss", VLD/VMB moss at BRL.MIL
Fri Jun 1 22:50:49 AEST 1990

<         I am trying to use the 'gethostbyname()' system call in a program.
< The manual entry mentions that I must link with 'libbsd.a' in order to use
< this function.  However, the function is not defined in that library (or
< any other library that I can find) and the loader complains about it being
< undefined.

What OS/hardware combination are you running?  I am running 4D/IRIX 3.2.2
and have gethostbyname in *my* /usr/lib/libbsd.a.  (I'm pretty sure it's
been there in previous releases of IRIX).

Try the following:

$ nm -Bo /usr/lib/libbsd.a | grep gethostbyname
/usr/lib/libbsd.a:gethostwrap.o:        10000000 T gethostbyname