Error from dbx

David B. Anderson davea at quasar.wpd.sgi.com
Wed May 9 02:47:59 AEST 1990

In article <1957 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, joe at etac632 (Joe Fulson-Woytek) writes:
> I am trying to debug a large Fortran program. The program
[ ]
> warning: aux(17) greater than max(16) for file 111
> I then got a core dump. If anyone can point me to a meaning for

E-mail bounced, so I'm posting.

You don't say, but I assume you are still running IRIX release 3.1.

Reason: This dbx core dump is most suggestive of an old version of dbx.

	stdump -n 111 a.out
will show you the symbol table for file 111 in a.out.  Your file 111 will
show just 16 entries in the aux table......

Question:
What does the 4 lines of dbx startup say?
It should say ``dbx version 1.31'' (plus other stuff).

The message means that the aux table (an array of 32-bit unions where data
types are recorded) is being probed at a location greater than exists in
the (local) aux table for the particular source file.     This is nothing
you can do anything about :-(.

Again:  what system version are you using?  If you upgraded to 3.2, did you
recompile *everything*?    As the 3.2 release notes say, dbx cannot deal
with objects which have *any* 3.1 object code.  Any local libraries in
use?  Check them!

Hope this helps.
[ David B. Anderson  Silicon Graphics  (415)335-1548  davea at sgi.com ]
[``What can go wrong?''                          --Calvin and Hobbes]

PS: This should be handled through the Hotline or e-mail.....Thanks.