/etc/securetty as security feature

Reinhard Doelz / Biocomputing Basel doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Wed May 2 19:58:03 AEST 1990

This is a request for the system developers: On other UNIX systems
/bin/login checks for a file called /etc/securetty which contains all
the terminals where root is permitted to log in. This is kind of
the opposite of pandora, but useful to avoid network hackers to get root
access. Is there any plan to implement this kind of functionality?

In summary,  nice features would include

* /etc/securetty as described above

* secondary password facility (the dialup approach in IRIS UNIVERSE is
                               not practicable)
* password maturation in the sysadmin tools (Yes I know it's there already
                               but I need to edit the password file each
                               time I enter a new user manually ...)
* more than eight characters in the passwd field, and checking for arbitrary
                               characters from the /etc/passwd file in order
                               to avoid 'trivial' passwords , e.g. first name,
                               office phone number, etc.

Regards,
Reinhard