SGI add on hard drives

Darrell R. Davis davis at ADENOSINE.PHARM.UTAH.EDU
Wed May 30 14:44:40 AEST 1990

on Tue, 29 May 90 18:09:09 CDT,
Mike Goss <goss at snow-white.merit-tech.com> said:
Mike> Posted-Date: Tue, 29 May 90 18:09:09 CDT
Mike> Received-Date: Tue, 29 May 90 18:31:12 MDT

> From: Dan Watts <ki!dwatts at uunet.uu.net>

Mike> Seagate bought Imprimis (formerly the disk drive division of CDC)
Mike> recently, so the Seagate drive you are looking at may actually be an

I have installed several Imprimis drives on PI's, a couple of 380's
and also 2 766's.  The 380's were from SGI and I bought the 760's raw
from a company called Almac in Seattle.  In addition, I know of a
third party vendor who is putting together a SCSI tower that holds 4
disks (take your pick from 380, 760 or 1600 Mbyte).  Some of this I've
posted before.  Anyway, the fx utility seems to work fine for all of
these guys, though I haven't personally tried it on the 1.2's.  As I
see it, the key to the process is to set the SCSI address correctly
(with jumpers) I believe 5 and 2 are the most commonly used. The
system gets upset if there is an address conflict, this is from
experience.  Power up the machine, then check that everything is
hunky-dory using the hinv command.  You can then format the disk using
fx, I actually found the man page comforting in this case to convince
yourself that you are not re-formatting your other disks.  Supposedly
fx will correctly format a 1.2G (I hear this is an overnight
proposition).  To set up the file system, SGI provides a nice script
called 'Add_disk' there is a man page for Add_disk, basically it does
all of the steps required to create the filesystem and mount it.

P.S.  One of the CDC 760's has been going for about 1.2 years, the
other for 6 months.

                           *
Darrell R. Davis       *   *   *    "Faster, faster, until the
Assistant Professor      * * *       thrill of speed overcomes
Medicinal Chemistry   *A**L**T**A*   the fear of death."
University of Utah       * * *
                       *   *   *       --H.S. Thompson
                           *