VGX performance (fastpath drawing)

Scott Kahn kahn at uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 23 16:42:02 AEST 1990

  As I look more deeply into improving graphics performance for
the VGX, it would seem that even if all lmcolor calls reside
outside the bgntmesh and endtmesh calls, fastpath drawing is
turned off unless the lighting model color mode is LMC_COLOR
or LMC_NULL. I have been setting lmcolor(LMC_DIFFUSE), and
would like to know from the SGI crew whether this will ever
be incorporated into the allowable fastpath color modes for
lighting models? Alternatively, is there a way to use LMC_COLOR
and still obtain shiny, arbitrarily colored solids?

Thanks again,

Scott Kahn
Dept. of Chemistry
University of Illinois