stdin under Workspace

Betsy Zeller betsy at vesuvius.esd.sgi.com
Fri Oct 26 07:06:01 AEST 1990

In article <2260 at bnlux0.bnl.gov> bstewart at bnlux0.bnl.gov (Bruce Stewart) writes:
>I have just joined the world of 4D series, and have a problem with
>my graphics application software. I use the texport as dialog area; all
>works well when I run the application by typing the command to
>Irix in a shell. But when I start the application from Workspace,
>all attempts at scanf on stdin return EOF, without giving me a
>chance to type anything in the textport. I have already noticed
>that the console icon must be opened prior to starting the
>application from Workspace. What else am I missing?
>
>Any clues would be appreciated.
>
>bstewart at bnlux0.bnl.gov

To make your application run from workspace so that it will use scanf
effectively, you need to tag it. Try doing this

	tag 0x400 your_application_name

Your application will now appear on workspace as a little picture of
a terminal window. When you double click it, a text window will open,
showing you any text or prompts, and into which you can enter your input.
When you are done, close that window.

Tagging is the mechanism workspace uses to identify what icon to display,
and what behaviour to supply for a given file. The ascii files from which
workspace gets its information are in /usr/lib/filetype/default, install,
local, and system.

Any application which puts up its own window to run in will run just
fine from workspace without being tagged.

Betsy Zeller