HELP! Users can't log

Thomas Mitchell mitch at sgi.com
Tue Oct 23 09:49:13 AEST 1990

In article <9009271607.AA21257 at focci01.wirz.cigy> deyrau at ciba-geigy.ch (Dipl agr Veronique Eyraud) writes:
*
* I can log on the machine as root, butanybody else gets thrown away.
* No explanation in the console or SYSLOG.
* I have checked
* 	the password file (yp used successfuly on another machine)
* 	the login directories are there and accessible
* 	the /etc/cshrc, .cshrc and .login (we are running the csh)
*
* Everything looks desperately normal

Pay close attention to both 'r' and 'x'  bits on directories.
Look at the permissions of the mount points with and withouut
the file system mounted.  Look all the way up the  dir tree
for missing search ('x') permissions.

* Any idea? (My local support says I should reload the system  ---GASP!!!)

GASP is right, this is a last resort.  But we all remember
the story about Alexander the Great and the Gordian knot.
"WACK-WACK" and off to more productive work.

  Thomas P. Mitchell   --  mitch at sgi.com  or mitch%relay.csd at sgi.com
	"All things in moderation; including moderation."