Minor setvideo() bug; SGI bug reporting mechanisms?

karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
Sat Oct 20 00:36:26 AEST 1990

Stuart Levy, Geometry Group, University of Minnesota(slevy at geom.umn.edu)
writes :

>Now the other part of the question:  Is there a natural mechanism for
>reporting SGI bugs (or requesting features) that's less intrusive than
>calling customer support?  I'm thinking of cases like this one,
>where the item is low priority and we really don't need a response.

I have lobbied to no avail for e-mail tech support from the hotline folk.
They are locked into a system that tracks time of problem reporting to time of
resolution.  They sometimes get too busy putting out fires to stop and smell
the subtle stink of software slowly rotting!

Well, that sounds poetic and perhaps too strong.  Informally, hotline folk do
answer e-mail and newsgroup comments.  However, this is an idle time avocation
that is not sanctioned by their administration.

>Sun has an e-mail address for this kind of thing:  sunbugs at sun.com.
>Does SGI have something similar?  If not, is posting to this newsgroup
>sufficient notice, or is it important to register a call to the hot line?
>In the latter case, do people not buying software support have any way to
>report bugs?

Well, imitation makes a much stronger case to do somthing than reason.  Sgi
might do it now to keep up with the sun's.  Thanks for posting that
interesting point of fact.

| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Please Note :Soon to move to dan at karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Mid Oct)|