timed/ntpd

Robert Viduya robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Sun Oct 14 07:44:04 AEST 1990

We ported the ntp package to all our machines including the SGI's.
We run the daemon, xntpd, on the file & compute servers and have a
program the runs ntpdate on the workstations every so often (ntpdate
is a one-shot program that syncs the local time with a given
ntp server).  We decided against using cron to run ntpdate on
the workstations 'cuz we've seen cron get royally confused on a
PI with a failing battery.  The program we wrote to run ntpdate
is based on time-intervals, not absolute-times like cron.

We originally used timed/timeslave as provided by SGI, but ran
into problems when our network bogged down.  Ntp seems to handle
things a lot better.

			robert
Robert Viduya					   robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Technical Services / Office of Information Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology					 (404) 894-6296
Atlanta, Georgia	30332-0275