scrsave weirdness

Tim Hall tjh at bu-pub.bu.edu
Fri Oct 5 03:20:10 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct4.134253.16475 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, xxjgh at dali.lerc.nasa.gov (Jay G. Horowitz) writes:
|> WARNING to those looking towards scrsave as an answer to their screen-saving
|> problem:
|>
|>                         Snapshot and others that require a graphics
|> port to allow you do establish your capture window, eventually do a:
|>
|> 	system ("scrsave 0 1280 0"); /* or whatever xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax */
|>
|> which spawns a new process.
|>
|> I assume that doing a succesfull screen capture (i.e., capture pixel rgb
|> regardless whether that pixel was colormap, rgb, window border, background,
|> or whatever) can only be done by a process that is not tied to a particular
|> window.

I recently modified snapshot to save images in our own local image format.
I still use most of the code in scrsave, in particular gl_readscreen,
which I think you are talking about.  Anyhow, I did not use a system call
or create a new process.  The scrsave code is compiled right into snapshot
and I haven't had any problems with it.  This is on a 240 running 3.2 and
P.I. running 3.3.1.

-Tim

--
-Tim Hall
tjh at bu-pub.bu.edu

The night is filled with the cries of dispossessed children in search