gcc under IRIX 3.3.1

Mark Moraes moraes at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Oct 27 08:23:31 AEST 1990

amoss at shum.huji.ac.il (Amos Shapira) writes:
>I have just finished installing GCC 1.37.1 with patches of OSF 1.8.1.5 which
>fix several problems and add -g switch.
>I suppose it will be ftp'able one day from foobar.colorado.edu, meanwhile
>you can find there what I started from. I'll try to make diffs from there
>to my copy available ASAP.

I don't seem to be able to get mail through to Amos, so, to avoid
duplication of effort:

The file pub/Gnu-For-Pmax/gcc-1.8.1.5-Iris3.3.shar.Z on
foobar.colorado.edu contains the changes I made to GCC 1.37.1 with
patches of OSF 1.8.1.5 to get it to work on Irix 3.3.1.  [thanks to
Michael Meissner for pointing out the main change that was needed, as
well as for the basic 1.8.1.5 version] You will also need the file
gcc-1.8.1.5.tar.Z from that directory if you do not already have
gcc-1.37.1. [If you already have gcc-1.37.1, then you only need
gcc-1.37.1-osf.1.8.1.5.patch.Z] I am also using those gcc binaries on
Irix 3.2.  Would anyone like to volunteer an ftp site for a 1M binary
distribution? [our ftp area is full, alas]

Our version of gcc works with -g as far as I can tell.  There's a
small problem in dbx -- when you set a break point in a function, and
the program stops there, if you print the arguments to the function,
they'll appear wrong.  They print correctly after the first step into
the procedure.  Despite this problem, it's nice to have a real ANSI
compiler on the SGI.  I've been using it for a few days, and it seems
reasonably robust.  In terms of speed, with -O, it generates code
about 10% slower than 3.3.1 cc -O for my programs.

No, I don't have g++ working yet.  If anyone else is working on this,
I'd like to hear from you -- let's try to avoid tripping over the same
obstacles...

	Mark