Motif or Open Look Development Systems on IRIS; When?

jim terhorst jym at sgi.com
Thu Oct 11 04:33:07 AEST 1990

In article <ianh.655574485 at morgana> ianh at bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>Tim_Buxton at UM.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>

>>  We have the Xlib X development system from SGI.  We want something
>>higher-level, such as Motif or Open Look, as soon as possible.  is
>>SGI offering these in the near future?
SGI announced support for the Motif toolkit at the Federal Computer
Conference a couple weeks ago.  It will be shipping in December, 1990 or
January 1991.

>>Are Third and Fourth Parties offering them?
ICS offers Motif for the SGI platform today.

>>We want Nice User Interfaces with X, but hate to
>>sacrifice the GL graphics capabilities.  I think a few weeks
>>back we were given some hope of combining the two in a window
>>in the future.  Are there any further developments in that regard?
Keep your eyes peeled to this forum for further developments in this area.

>I kind of heard on the grapevine that SG's internal user interface toolkit
>project has been cancelled. Could we please get a definitive comment from
>SG here with regards to this ??
This is still an open issue at SGI.

>Most of us out here will really hurt *bad* if there is no 'higher level'
>toolkit for the efficient mixing of GL and X. The hardest part that I can
>see with the mix of the two will be the handling of GL & X events.
>Sigh ..... _more_ things to try to take care of :-)
Again, keep your eyes peeled to this forum for information regarding this
issue.

		Jim Terhorst
		X and Motif Product Marketing Manager
		Silicon Graphics Computer Systems