archiving block data subroutines...

Jeffrey Biesiadecki jeffb at aquifer.las.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 22 13:31:07 AEST 1990

Hi -

We have a library written in Fortran77 which includes a block data
subroutine.  If we use "ar" to archive the object files of the library,
and then try to compile a program using the resulting "lib???.a" file,
everything works fine EXCEPT the block data subroutine is never executed
(that is, the initializations are not made).  If the block data object file
is linked in explicitly with the fortran compiler, then the initializations
are done.

Archiving the block data subroutine does work elsewhere (at least on computers
running BSD4.3).  It does not work on our SGI Personal Iris, (running
IRIX version 3.2 I believe - but am not positive...  I can find out if it
makes a difference).

Is this a problem with SGI's archiver, or archivers on machines running
System V-like operating systems in general?  We do not have a "ranlib"
program on the SGI;  the "ar" program creates the symbol tables that the
loader needs (we can call normal subroutines that have been archived and
it works fine).

Thanks,
Jeff

--
** Jeff Biesiadecki           ** University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign    **