RS170=>NTSC encoders

Mark Bartelt sysmark at physics.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 31 22:46:32 AEST 1990

Apologies if this falls into the "incredibly frequently asked questions"
category, but nonetheless ...

We plan to start using our personal IRISes to make videos, and will be
getting some sort of frame-by-frame recording equipment for animation,
and some sort of scan converter so that we can record the full screen.
(Maybe the Video Creator will be an appropriate alternative possibility
for the latter.  We can't tell for certain, because SGI's local office
seems unable to get one in house to use for demos and such.)

Regardless, this all has to wait until next year's budget.  For the
shorter term, we'd like to just get started by buying an RS170=>NTSC
encoder, preferably a cheap one (around $1K if possible).  Yeah, we
know that the quality won't be terribly great.  That's OK.  We just
want something that we can use for a while until we have the money
to buy what we actually want.

If anyone has any recommendations on which vendors we should look at,
I'd appreciate hearing them.  (Recommendations on which ones to avoid
would be appreciated as well.)  Thanks in advance.

Mark Bartelt                                              416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for                        sysmark at cita.toronto.edu
Theoretical Astrophysics                      sysmark at cita.utoronto.ca