Force dismount NFS partitions?

Jim Sims sims at cam.nist.gov
Wed Oct 17 13:29:41 AEST 1990

In article <870 at ki.UUCP> dwatts at ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
>Does anyone know of a way to force dismount of an NFS mounted
>partition?

Assuming the mounts are hard, the only way I know of to
force dismounts is to reboot! :=)

>I've got some partitions mounted from a remote Sun which is now
down.
>Unfortunately, now I can't do a 'df'.  It just hangs waiting
for the
>missing NFS mounts.

There is a trick to get around the df hanging problem.
df gets its information for mounted file systems from
/etc/mtab, so you can edit /etc/mtab to remove the lines
pertaining the file systems from the server which is down.
This will trick df into thinking the file systems are not
mounted, when in fact they are. Unfortunately, a cd to the
file systems from the down server will still hang.

NAME:   James S. Sims                    TELE: (301) 975-2710
USMAIL: National Institute of Standards and Technology
(formerly National Bureau of Standards)  ARPA,BITNET: sims at enh.nist.gov