IRIS.rgb to Color PS

Dwight Schwartz schwartz at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 16 20:46:19 AEST 1990

Dear Netters,
	My sincerest apologies for the last bungle.  Here's another try:

In article <9010160303.AA13301 at frodo.Physics.McGill.CA> loki at physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
>	Here is an IRIS (rgb) to color PS filter that I picked up
>somewhere.... I don't have a color laser yet so no idea how well it
>works.
--- stuff deleted ---
>/*      tocolps -
> *              Convert a color  image to color PostScript.

	We've tried tocolps on our SGI 4D25G running IRIX 3.2.1 (I think that's
the version number).  The destination for the tocolps created PostScript files
was our Tektronix Phaser PX (a nice machine in it's own right).
	tocolps seems to work, but
		a) The output can be grainy, and this seems to depend on how
much of the screen you've captured with the snapshot utility.
		b) The postscript files created by tocolps are HUGE!  I've seen
them as big as 8 Mb.

	The file size thing brings up another part of my experience which some
readers may benefit from:
	If your PostScript device has a parallell port, by all means use it (or
better yet, use the SCSI if it's available!).  This is important if you will
need (even a few times) to send large PostScript files to the printer.  When
we printed the 8Mb file (mentioned above), it took, as I recall, around 15
minutes, on a printer usually capable of 1ppm or so.  Such a transfer through
the serial port would be much slower.
	One more word about PostScript printers (I think this generally
applies):
	When using the print manager to set up the parallel port with the
PostScript printer, we used the 'generic parallel printer' (or whatever its
actual name is) setting.  If you intend to use 'lp' to spool PostScript files
to the printer, remember to apply the lp option which supresses the header
which lp otherwise includes at the top of the print job.  If the header is not
supressed, the PostScript session will bomb (i.e. no printout :(  ).  This is
because the header is not valid PostScript.

the voice: 217-333-7605
the facts: 217-244-0997
the i-net:  schwartz at b.scs.uiuc.edu
the b-net:  schwartz at uiucscs
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
p.s.  I speak for myself (and noone else), and my IRIS (and noone else's)