archiving block data subroutines...

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Oct 23 04:42:35 AEST 1990

In article <27320 at shamash.cdc.com>, ddh at hare.cdc.com (Dan Horsfall) writes:
>                                 ...   mips makes the sgi box ...
>    Horse
>                                        +    Control Data Corporation
>    Dan Horsfall     +1-612-482-4622    +    4201 Lexington Ave North
>    Internet   ddh at dash.udev.cdc.com    +    Arden Hills MN 55126 USA

The preceding was probably a typo, but ...

MIPS does not make IRIS's.  Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc. makes
IRIS's.  MIPS makes their own boxes.  I'm not even sure which of the
several silicon foundaries SGI is using for the MIPS R3000 that is probably
in whichever SGI box is being mentioned.  I don't think MIPS is in the
silicon business any more.  I think it's been years since any IRIS
contained any hardware manufactured by MIPS.

It is or at least has been true that packing cases leave Mtn.View loading
docks with labels that do not mention SGI but do say "Cyber".

It is true SGI ships modified versions of MIPS compilers for some but not
all languages.

MIPS &co. are great guys with good machines and all that, but everyone
working at SGI knows they are not as great as SGI.

Vernon Schryver,    vjs at sgi.com