CAPS LOCK <==> CONTROL hack?

James Helman jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU
Wed Oct 17 03:33:12 AEST 1990

   Being a user of several computers, all of which have their CONTROL key
   where the Iris puts its CAPSLOCK and vice versa, I would be most
   grateful to discover a hack for my user.ps (or whatever) which would
   permit them to be exchanged.

I don't know about NeWS, but under X, just about any keyboard
reconfiguration you want can be done with xmodmap.  "xmodmap -pk"
prints out the full keyboard table.  See xmodmap(1) for more details.

Here are some possibilities

    # clear the lock keys
    xmodmap -e 'clear lock'

    # make caps lock another control key
    xmodmap -e 'add control = Caps_Lock'

    # change backspace key to send delete/backspace
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 66 = Delete BackSpace'

    #change `/~ key to send  escape/~
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 60 = Escape asciitilde'

    #change <esc> key to send `/~
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 12 = grave asciitilde'

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim at KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127