PCNFS problem

Michael Johnson mlj8e at mljsg.pharm.Virginia.EDU
Wed Oct 17 03:57:06 AEST 1990

   I have a problem with Lifeline backups with PC-NFS (sun) and
I was hopeing someone out there might be able to help me.

I am trying to write backup tapes from my PC to our Silicon Graphics
4D80 server.  Everything works fine if I write to a cartridge tape,
but fails with an LL011F error when I try to write to an Exabyte
8mm tape.  However, I can read the Exabyte tapes with no problem.

    The PC is an IBM P70-121 with a 3COM 3C523 board, PC-NFS 3.0.1
from SUN.
    The Silicon Graphics is a 4D80 with NFS option running the latest
release of the OS (System V 3.3.1).  The PCNFSD on the silicon graphics
was modified by silicon graphics to be compatible with system V instead
of BSD.

    As I said above I can read and write tapes to the 60Mb cartridge
tape. And I can read, but not write to the exabyte tape.  Incidently,
the exabyte works fine for dumps from our suns, mips and other
silicon graphics machines as well as local tar.

    Can someone out there tell me the actual sequence of remote
shell commands with the PC-NFS tar (from SUN) is actually sending
to the server?  Can anyone offer and suggestions?

    Thanks for the help.

--
(804)-924-8607                   Michael L. Johnson
mlj8e at mljsg.pharm.Virginia.EDU   Pharmacology Dept.