3.3.1 telnetd now broken for Multinet?

John Chee Wah sysjohn at physics.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 31 10:21:55 AEST 1990

In article <4525 at husc6.harvard.edu> macferrin at slsvax.harvard.edu writes:
# In article <9010242024.AA18026 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes...
# >      In reference to having to enter you old password and the a new one.
# >We had the same problem, it didn't seem to matter from where we were
# >rlogin'ing in from.  The solution was to turn off password aging.  That
# >is if your password is over a specified age you are required to change
# >it to a new one.
# >--
# >	Brent L. Bates
# >	E-mail: blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates at aero2.larc.nasa.gov
#
# Thanks for the advice, but since we don't have password aging turned on, that
# can't be our problem. One part of the problem (rlogin from ultrix to irix
# 3.3.1 requests a password change ALWAYS) was fixed by removing passwdreq from
# /etc/config/login.options, as suggested to me by John Fwu. (Thanks John)
#
# We still have a problem in using rlogin from vms using Multinet 2.1 to irix
# 3.3.1. The problem is that the user is always prompted for the password,
# despite the proper .rhosts entry. If anyone finds a fix for this, please post
# it to this group or mail me and I'll post it. Thanks.
#
# Kurtis MacFerrin	macferrin at slsvax.harvard.edu

Assuming that (1) your vms machine has more than one address (2) and it is
connecting to your irix not via the first address in the host file. (3)
you use the host file first before bind.
The way that host names are matched in 3.3[.1] is broken. I have called the
hotline about this back in July/August with 3.3 but I think they do not think it
is a bug. Solution for now is to list the internet addresses in your .rhosts or
hosts.equiv files.

If you use the nameserver first (as in /usr/etc/resolv.conf) then you have to
use the fully canonical name.