How can I use wsh as multi-terminal interface?

Scott E. Townsend fsset at bach.lerc.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 19 00:26:59 AEST 1990

I am writing a front-end to a parallel processor attached to a Personal
Iris and would like the capability to provide a wsh(1) window for each
node in the system for debug output, etc.  I'd really rather not reinvent
the capabilities of wsh(1) like the scroll bar, logging, etc.

My first guess is to have the front-end create two named pipes for I/O
and then fork/system "wsh -c mycu" where 'mycu' is a cu-like program that
copies stdin and stdout to the appropriate named pipes.  The front-end
then connects these named pipes to the appropriate node's program.

I realize that I will hit an open file limit rather quickly, but I'm
hoping the user will be too confused by all those windows before then ;-)

Is this a reasonable approach?  Do you know of any problems/secrets I
should look out for?  Any comments would be appreciated.

Scott Townsend               |   Phone: 216-433-8101
NASA Lewis Research Center   |   Mail Stop: 5-11
Cleveland, Ohio  44135       |   Email: fsset at bach.lerc.nasa.gov