postscript printer, installation help?

Rob Farlee farlee at eplrx7.uucp
Sun Oct 14 04:39:08 AEST 1990

How do I install a Postscript printer on a Personal Iris?

I plugged an HP Laserjet III into the parallel port of a 4D20, used the
printer tool to configure it as a "generic printer", and it prints text
files just fine.
How do I configure the Iris so I can plug in the HP Postscript cartridge
and get text and pictures, instead of garbage, out?  After an hour search,
no where in the manuals can I find a jot of information about postscript
printing, except buried deep in documentation of the printfile filters.

Background: please forgive me if this is a dumb question which may have
been answered on the net in the past, as I am but a novice to the Iris.
I'm running IRIX 3.2; SG hasn't sent me 3.3 yet.
I checked out the laserprinter (after installation of the postscript
cartridge, 5M total printer memory, using the parallel port) on a PC, so
know there is no problem with the hardware.
--
The UUCP Mailer