user mountable disks

Robert B. Funchess bobf at IBM530.CHEM.UMR.EDU
Tue Oct 9 09:24:11 AEST 1990

Easy to fix... the source code to moptical that was just posted could be
modified quite easily to allow you to mount your disk... the central computing
people just would have to set up the suid bit once.  Then make the mount prog.
groupid your group, and only executable BY that group.  If you aren't the only
person in your group, put it in a directory that is owned by you and mod 700.
Now, you have a way to mount your disk, and no one else can do that mount unless
they are root (in which case they could have anyway).

Incidentally, I LOVE that program... I modified it here to accept any directory
name to mount so the maintenance people here (all in the STAFF group) can mount
directories without the hassle of becoming root first (or indeed being ABLE to
become root... our workstudies can do it so I don't have to come back here
every time the power flickers a little :)> ).