IRIX 3.3.1 sendmail.cf

FL17 at DLRVMBS.BITNET FL17 at DLRVMBS.BITNET
Sat Oct 27 04:57:11 AEST 1990

IRIX 3.3.1 sendmail.cf

Hi netters,

regarding the IRIX 3.3.1 sendmail.cf problem not being able to send
mail to any other host ("rewrite: expansion too long") there is a bug
in the sendmail.cf file (infinite recursion in address parsing). The line

# to unknown host or domain--if we are not a forwarder, send to the forwarder
R$~F!$-!$*<@$+>$*		$@$>29<@$F>:$3@$4$5

should read

# to unknown host or domain--if we are not a forwarder, send to the forwarder
R$~F!$-!$*<@$+>$*		$@<@$F>:$3@$4$5

with the "$>29" removed. After this correction all our current mail troubles
are gone.

Particular thanks go to A. Sun <asun%ocf.Berkeley.EDU at lilac.berkeley.edu>
who reported the error and to Robert Stephens of SGI who suggested address
parsing tests by executing /usr/lib/sendmail -bt.

Thanks to all others for their suggestions. I assume that this info
reaches A. Sun, Robert Stephens, Joe Takai, Loki Jorgensen, David Hinds,
Klaus Koehler and Cindy Starr, too, without sending individual letters.

Best regards,

	Ralf Beyer

Ralf Beyer	| German Aerospace Research Establishment