SGI functionality - Can I do on a PI what I can on a Mac?

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 25 03:44:39 AEST 1990

First of all, let me say that the following is NOT intended to start yet
another "Box A is better than Box B; No it isn't Box C is better..."
argument... I just need some insight.

Right now I'm using a MacIIfx running A/UX 2.0. However, with the number
crunching and simulation workload I'm doing, the Mac just can't keep up.
Now one of the things I DO like about my setup is that I can run a FORTRAN
program, then cut the data from the shell window, and then paste it into
a plotting application. (If you have access/experience with Macs, then you
know what I mean... even if you don't I'm sure you do anyway)

In any case, I am seriously looking at upgrading to the PI 4D25 (with the
upgrade to 35) but I don't want to loose that functionality which I
like. Can I do the same on a PI? If so, what applications are available
which let me do it (I'm looking mostly at a word-processor, some kinda
plotting/graphing application and some sort of 2D "drawing" application
with "cut-and-paste" capability between all three).

Is this possible? I hope so, otherwise I'll have to wait until Apple
comes out with their 040, which would STILL be slower than a PI...

... of course I guess I could always use my Mac as my "document" computer,
and the PI as the number cruncher, but I would still have the task of
cutting the screen data and pasting it to a file to be ftped to the
Mac...

Quick E-mail responses would be greatly appreciated!!

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."