Logical volumes.

David A Higgen daveh at xtenk.asd.sgi.com
Tue Oct 23 07:30:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct22.155144.13535 at cid.aes.doe.CA>, aspgasd at cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Alain St-Denis) writes:
> Is there a manual that comes with the 3.3 distribution that explains the
> implemantation of the logical volumes (other than System Administrator's
> Guide)?

Not as far as I know. But the System Administrator's Guide contains a fair
amount of info, including some step-by-step setup examples.

> I would like to know how the disk stripping works for SGI machines. In
> fact, I would like to know everything there is to say about logical
> volumes.

Yikes! *Everything* there is to say!? Not a modest request!  8-)
If you have specific questions I'll be happy to try to answer them, I am
the architect & implementor of our logical volumes.

> For example, how efficiently will a file system extended with
> growfs allocate file space.

Just as efficiently as a filesystem on a regular disk (ie pretty well, on
the whole). Remember that logical volumes exist at the device level, below the
filesystem level. The filesystem neither knows nor cares whether it resides
on a plain disk or a logical volume; the whole point of logical volumes is
to make collections of disks look to all other parts of the system like
a single regular disk.

			Dave Higgen (daveh at xtenk.asd.sgi.com)