3.3 diskless client install problem

Clifford B Miller millercb at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed Oct 31 03:27:55 AEST 1990

I'm trying to set up diskless clients under 3.3.  I was told that 3.3.1 had
a bug in it that kept diskless clients from working, and that the patch
solution was to have 3.3.1 on the server and ONLY 3.3 on the client.
Trying this: installing a 3.3 share tree and a 3.3 client tree, then
trying to boot up the diskless station, one gets:

	TFTP error: access violation (code 2)
	Could not load bootp()zingo:/usr/diskless/iris27/unix

where 'zingo' is the 3.3.1 server with a 3.3 share/client tree, and iris27
is the diskless station.  What is the problem here?

Of note: during client tree installation, after software installation was
finished and I said 'no more software to install', the clinst script
reported something like:

	sh: .tagscript not found
	cp: /usr/diskless/iris27/unix: no such file or directory

To patch this, I copied /usr/diskless/share/unix (the 3.3 one loaded from
tape) to /usr/diskless/iris27/unix.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Please e-mail to
	cliff at research.nec.com
or	millercb at phoenix.princeton.edu
Thanks.
 Clifford B. Miller, Research Associate / Systems Administrator
 NEC Research Institute, 4 Independence Way, Princeton, NJ  08540
 Internet: cliff at research.nec.com		phone: (609) 951-2688
 UUCP: ...princeton!necserve!cliff