path for forkunix/seqfork

Scott Henry scotth at harlie.corp.sgi.com
Thu Oct 18 02:10:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct17.015814.26771 at nas.nasa.gov>, browning at nas.nasa.gov (David S. Browning) writes:

|> I'm confused about the path used for forkunix or seqfork NeWS
|> commands.  I was doing the "exercise" in the _4Sight Programmer's
|> Guide_, Section 3 ("Programming the IRIS Window Manager"), Chapter 4
|> ("Customizing the IRIS Window Manager").  Copy /usr/sbin/toolchest
|> into your home directory and modify it, and the "Tools" toolchest menu
|> has your modification in it.  But put it in ~/bin, and it won't work
|> (the default /usr/sbin/toolchest gets used instead).  How can I fix
|> the path used by forkunix/seqfork?  I tried to put ~/bin in my path in
|> both .cshrc and .profile, but no luck.  Am I trying the right thing,
|> and just not doing it correctly?  There must be some way to put these
|> customized psh scripts somewhere other than my home directory!
|> Thanks.

There are two ways to fix this. One of them involves modifying your ~/user.ps,
the other is modifications to ~/.cshrc and ~/.login.

~/user.ps: add to the top of your user.ps a line like:

(PATH) getenv dup (/usr/people/browning/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/X11:) exch append (PATH) exch putenv

or

(PATH) ( *the PATH you want NeWS commands to have* ) putenv

NeWS reads in your ~/.cshrc and ~/.login when it starts up, but aborts processing if it detects any errors, such as terminal I/O (stty, cat, echo, tset(?), etc). If you surround all of these with the lines:

if ( ! $?ENVONLY ) then
endif

4sight (NeWS) will use the path defined in your ~/.cshrc for the forkunix, etc commands.

--
 Scott Henry <scotth at sgi.com> / Traveller on Dragon Wings
 Information Services,       / Help! My disclaimer is missing!